Keep safe around swimming pools this summer. Here are some Pool Safety Tips from TrustedChoice®.
• Always fence in a pool in your yard, and check your state and local ordinances for fence height requirements. Fencing should include a locked gate that should generally remain locked. Understand that as a pool owner, you are responsible and liable for anyone who comes on to your property and into your pool–even accidentally.
• Always cover an empty or partially empty pool in the off-season. Serious injuries can result from children or others jumping or falling into a pool that is not full. When possible, consider an easily retractable pool cover to seal anytime the pool is not in use, even in the summer.
• Never let children swim alone and keep a properly maintained supply of safety equipment in plain view of all swimmers, including life rings and other floats, lines, and a first aid kit.
• Maintain the pool properly. Check pools edges thoroughly at the beginning and end of each season to ensure that no tile, concrete or other material has come loose. Sun and other elements can damage these edges and pose a hazard to those who step or pull up on them. Always use a non-slip, quick-drying material to avoid injuries on walkways and other areas surrounding the pool.
• Drowning is the No. 1 cause of death among children under five. Have a family member take a safety course to become Red Cross certified to help in the event of an emergency.
• Tell your insurance agent if you install a backyard pool. Some homeowners policies exclude pools, and extra coverage will be needed. Ensure that you have adequate liability insurance.
For more information on homeowners insurance to cover liability for your swimming pool, please give us a call at 856-935-0845, or visit our website at www.hdyoung.com.
Henry D Young Inc is a TrustedChoice® Insurance Agency.
The information in this article is meant as a guideline only and is provided by. There is nothing in this article that alters the coverage or interpretation of any specific policy. Because some statements are generalizations, and because different companies’ policies contain slight differences, please refer to your specific policy. Call our office before making any judgements or decisions concerning your particular situation and coverage that may, or may not, apply.